Friday 14 February 2014

Portable location Gran Canaria

I guess I should have posted this some time ago, however with work commitments I've been very busy until recently, this has curtailed my ambition to be on air as often as possible, however that situation has now been rectified so here's the latest update.

My location is on the South East coast, just North from Playa Del Ingles and approximately 40km South from the capital Las Palmas, below is a simple map of the location:


The equipment is simple, an Icom 703 with a small amplifier and a Buddipole antenna, using the antenna in different locations and different configurations can be a bit of a bind, however the various locations around the Island are a must to operate portable, so I just accept the inconvenience of building and dismantling the antenna so often. This brings with it another problem, wear and tear, whilst not fragile, the antenna elements don't take kindly to rough handling and have had to be repaired a number of times, so much so that I will be replacing the telescopic whips when I get home and figuring a more robust way of attaching the various jumper wire and coax connector, maybe even adding a SO239 socket to the antenna centre. Here's a pic of the antenna overlooking the sea from a cliff location:


It beats working in the UK that's for sure.

73

Stephen EA8/G7DIE

No comments:

Post a Comment